Visitors

Friday, May 10, 2013

Tokyo, Japan - Meiji Shrine and Temple (Part 3)


The roof construction is very interesting, almost like a Jinga game.  I liked how the ends of the beams were painted white.  It made it easy to see the detail.




The door detail is a carved symbol of the ruler. We had to step over the threshold. I glanced to the side and saw the interesting carved door hardware.




The central Shrine area was symmetrical and visually balanced.  The Temple was in the center. To the right there was a prayer station and to the left an open area. I saw something draped from the tree just to the right of the other tour group.  (Nice of the guides to gather the group in the shade!)  You can see a few white papers, cut like lightening bolts. These are for purification.



I walked closer to the right side to see how the prayer area was laid out. There are tables where you can write your prayer, then hang them on the wall.  There is probably a cost for this but I only took pictures and said mental prayers for family and friends.  I see that someone already took “Love and Peace”, so I am just going to go with that one. (Are you allowed to latch on to someone else’s wishes?)

UPDATE: These are "Ema" - wooden wishing plaques found at Japanese shrines.  This is a Shinto custom.  People write their wishes on the small boards and then hang them.  Source: http://zoomingjapan.com/wiki/ema/




I walked to the Shrine and took one photo.  Sue told us that no photos were allowed on the top step, so I will follow the rules. I walked up these stairs, tossed in a coin, repeated the actions taught by Sue (prayer hands, bowing and clapping) and again left “Love and Peace” messages for family and friends.  We are covered!


Time to leave this site and return to the bus.  I saw a grounds attendant with a sparse and very efficient broom keeping the area neat and tidy.  One more final look at the huge torii and the group is ready to see the next sight.


2 comments:

Ginan said...

was there a special feeling about the place?

Thanks for including me in your prayers!

Ladee said...

Peaceful. Definitely a place where you could go and contemplate, solve a problem, or just enjoy the clean air and the forest. I saw another path that looked like a longer walk through the woods. Calming.

Some were there for prayer.