Visitors

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Alicante, Spain - Castillo de Santa Barbara

High on a hill overlooking Alicante sits the Castillo de Santa Barbara.  This was a great location to view the city, beaches, and the sea.  Obviously a great place to perch to defend the city also.


The road was narrow and the buses seemed to be very big.  The drivers are skilled negotiating the hairpin turns and passing each other.

We pass the fortress walls as we try to work our way closer to the entrance.

Too many buses in the top parking lot so our bus parks and we have to get out and walk the rest of the way up the hill.

The views are fantastic as I turn and look back towards the city.

This shows how tight the turns are on the road.

A block guard shack stands empty.

The sheer walls have held up very well.  Little plants have found a home in the walls.

I'm excited as I climb higher and catch a glimpse of the Sea.

I round what I think is the last bend, and find that there is just a bit more to go.

Another street cover for Nick.

This is the entranceway to the main plaza. Looks like a fun Pirates exhibit is coming soon.

The door at the entranceway was built to last.

The courtyard had some local artwork.  I'm trying to identify the artist, so please leave any information in the comments if you know about this work.

A W.C. sign...just in time.

A very nice patio with shaded picnic tables.  Perfect.

As I look over the wall to the south, I see the Crown Princess docked.  This ship would not be able to sneak up on the city!
 To the north is more of the city and the beaches.

Below is a nice white beach with hotels and condos.

I needed a little snack refreshment and a break.

1 comment:

Ginan said...

It looks like a nice place to take a few days and just hang out at.