Visitors

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Istanbul - More treasures near the Grand Bazaar

We left the Grand Bazaar and began to make our way back to the tour group meeting spot.  The street vendors were still working it and making the air smell very good.  I think that this was the chestnut guy, so while I like the smell, I am not fond of the taste.


One of the many mosques is shown in the background of the next photo. About this time we heard the call to prayer.  The singing fills the air.  And then I couldn't help but laugh to myself.  Do you remember the story of my cousin climbing the stairs to use the announcement system?  She was using the instruments that the mosque uses to call to prayer.  Imagine their surprise when they heard "Tooooootsie.  Tooooootsie."  Hugs to the family!!  You bring me such joy!
 The street is still busy with tourists, enjoying the sunshine and the seats.
 This must be a break time before the after work crowd takes to the street.
 The color continues in the shop windows.

There is yet another whirling dervish.  The cat is cute, but I really liked the red pomegranate.  I grow these in my back yard. Well, actually the neighbor grows them and I eat what reaches over the shared fence.   Another blue whirling dervish was in the window as well as what looks like a whirling dervish outfit.

The metalwork was beautiful.
 I liked this coffee pot and the covered cups.
 I don't know what these are. Shiny.  Pretty colors.  Good for me!
 We walked to the intersection and made it a little early, well in advance of our meeting time.  I was taking general photographs of the area, and the "Coca-Cola" sign caught my eye.  Looks like my camera caught the man's eye!  I am so busted.

The intersection is pretty busy.  I don't know how the bus is going to get through this and find a place to park.

Istanbul is a very clean city.  As I've mentioned, I am not sure if it is because of the holiday or if it is because the staff is so attentive to details.  It wouldn't surprise me that it happens all the time. Everything was very clean. This can't happen in one shift!  Notice the building across the street?  Aunt E wanted to head in that direction to "meet the bus".
No, no, no!  I had the photo of our meeting spot with me.  Thank goodness!!
We walked to the meeting spot and continued to engage with the locals.

 Nice housing in the area.  But look at the streets. How is a bus going to get in here??
 There were a lot of vendors.  Very nice people, very persistent. I like these scarves, but I had already purchased my limit.
 This man continues to demonstrate his product.  Soon the bus came, and we were on our way back to the ship.
I was thrilled with the Grand Bazaar.  I would want to include the Spice Bazaar.  I can't imagine the scents and the colors. Next time!

No comments: