Visitors

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Civitaveccia, Italy - All roads lead to Rome

The Crown Princess docked at Civitaveccia and I hopped on the bus for the tour to Rome.  I was excited to see the the countryside as we traveled through the Italian region of Lazio.  Click here for more info on Civitaveccia (including how to correctly say the name).  Come along for the 90 minute ride as we drive through the countryside and make our way to Rome.



I spent my time on the 90 minute ride looking for interesting views that would give a well rounded picture of the country side.  There were wide open fields, flowers alongside the road, guardrails, and power lines strung across the landscape.  Looks like my Pennsylvania homeland.
 This is an interesting old barn.  I think that the round silo in the front looks like it has a face. See the eyes, nose and open mouth.
 I was thrilled to look across the field to see an ancient Roman aquaduct.
 Rolling hills, large fields, groves of trees, and smaller gardens.
 This farm looks like it has space for some "free range" animals.  Some of the homes were modest.
 I also saw villas perched high on the hills, overlooking a picturesque valley.  I think that the tall pine trees are very interesting.  I think that they just grow that way, because all of the ones that I see have growth just at the top and I can't imagine that someone comes through and cuts all of them.
 Oh, a solar farm.  Trees around the outskirts will soon hide these panels from view.
 We pass through the entrance to the highway.
 More farms with neatly planted rows.  Are these grapes?
 The highrise apartment complex was a sign that we are leaving the countryside and getting closer to the city.
 Apartments or office building?  Can't tell from here, but this is quite modern looking.
 We move through another rural area and the building high on the hill caught my eye.
 It looks like it is round.  I have no clue what this is. Maybe an ancient ceremonial castle?
 Toss the old stuff on the other side of the field. No one will see it.
 Graffiti for my collection of "Graffiti around the world" photographs.
 This is another entry for a collection of "how do they handle their trash?" photographs.  Large bins on the street, ready for dropoff of bags from the apartments and pickup.
 Gas station in the city.
 Pull over quickly while en route to work, attendant pumps the gas, and off you go.
 An apartment view. I like the balconies with the flowers.  I don't see any laundry hanging out to dry.
 The end photo of the "All Roads lead to Rome" series as we enter Rome proper.
This was a very easy 90 minute drive because there were so many different sights to see.  I hope that this gives you a feel for the countryside, the mix of very old and very new.

1 comment:

Ginan said...

Enjoyed the ride. I only got to see the country side of Rome between Rome and the airport, and that was at 150 mph! All Italians think they're race car drivers!