Visitors

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cairo - Cairo Alex Desert Road Scenes

5/15/2012 We are on the last third of the three hour drive from Alexandria to Cairo.
This is another roadside cafe.  Three people were sitting inside the cafe to keep out of the sun.



I thought that the little girl looked interesting.  Her head scarf was plaid and her shirt striped. Maybe she picked out two of her favorite things to wear today.
A taxi stand!  The taxis are parked and ready for business.
 The driver is color coordinated.  Let's take a closer look at the taxi.  Front single seat for the driver.  Check out the roof: antenna out of the top, fins on the back end.  No doors and room for two in the back seat.  By the way, do those fins on the top of the car help it to stay on the road when you go fast?  No doors...in this traffic.  I would be advising the driver "Look out, ohhh, watch for that.  Slow down."  Maybe I better stay on the bus.

Another truck load off to market. These look like cantelopes.

I am glad that I was able to capture this next photo. This scene was repeated over and over as we made our way to Cairo.
     1.  Note that we are in the second lane from the right...mostlyh
     2.  Note the truck with the cow and sheep in the back is making its own lane.
     3. Note the yellow truck to the far right is a little larger, and IS NOT parked because you can see the driver.
     4. Note that the livestock truck and the yellow truck are not blurry, meaning that the bus and two trucks are all traveling at the same speed.

And YES,  note that the standing man is a little blurry.  That is because he is standing in the middle of the the traffic working his way across the road.  WHAT???  Look closer. He is smiling!! (I later found out that my mother was sitting in the front seat of the bus watching all of this up close and personal.  I can only imagine!)

It is important that you see a map of the area.  This map shows that there is quite a lot of housing development going on outside of Cairo.  The "University of Cairo 6th of October" campus is located in this area as well as the Rofayda Healthcare Park,

This wall ran for quite a while. It was covered with advertisements.


It appears that a new mall is now open.  Ah, there is a "Tempur" store. Recognize the logo?  Recognize any other logos?


Human cargo?  Looks like a 7-8 passenger van with a luggage rack on the top.

This shows another building project going on.  The entrance way on the right was to a farm area.

A closer view.  Is this under construction, abandoned, or an open air layout?

The next one is not a clear photo...I saw this out of the window on the other side of the bus. It looked like a really high tech office park for major corporations. The layout of each building was unique, but all were color coordinated and looked cool.

We were able to see over the wall into this sales lot.  It was filled with vehicles of every description.  Buses, vans, three wheeled taxis, cars, and motorbikes.

This looks like a new housing development, "New Giza".  The signage lists a phone number "to book a tour".  It's in English.   I don't know what the sign in the red triangle says.

Perhaps this will be used as an entryway to the development.  Or a sample of the construction.

The KPMG office building.  Nice landscape.  Nice stairway leading down to the HIGHWAY!  I don't know what the "!" red triangle sign means but that is how I felt when I saw the staircase leading down to the road.

Construction of new homes in another development.

The guide remarked "To your right you can see the pyramids".  AHHH!  My first view of the pyramids.  This is awesome!!  This was the view outside the window.

This is what I saw immediately.  I zoomed in on my target.  I can't believe that I am really here.


We continue on in to the city....and the pyramids.  So cool.  I'm so very excited.

Reference map:

1 comment:

Ginan said...

So fun getting to spot the pyramids for the first time!