Visitors

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rome, Italy - Aurilean Wall, Villa Borghese, Porta del Popolo

5/12/2012 This part of the tour follows the northern end of the Aurilean Wall.  It is primarily in the Roman districts (rioni) Ludovisi and Campo Marzio.


I struggled with the sun on the windows with this group of photos. Please accept my apologies, but I think that you will be able to see the main details in spite of the reflections in the glass.

I know this is blurry, but I wanted to mention "Harry's Bar" on Via Veneto. (#1 on the map below.) This is the restaurant that was in Fellini's film "La Dolce Vita". It is still going strong!

This map will help orient you.

We drove north on Via Veneto until we came to the Porto Pinciana gate (#1)  in the Aurilean Wall.


After we turned right on Via Campiana, the entrance way to Villa Borghese could be seen. This entrance is to the large park surrounding the Villa.
We followed the wall until we could turn left, on the outside of the Aurilean Wall.  We followed the wall until we could see the approach to Porta Pinciana.

This is the external side of the extrance at Porta Pinciana.

Entrance to Villa Borghese.  We turned right on Viale San Paolo del Brasile and entered the Villa Borghese park area. (#2 on the map)

This photo does not do justice with the beautiful grounds and park area.  It is an area that is used and there were people throughout, walking, running, and enjoying a picnic.

Our tour of the park took us on to Vialle Fiorello La Guardia and on Viale Giorgio Washington, past the ongoing renovation of what looked to be a main entrance to Villa Borghese.  Click here to see an exceptional explanation of this building.


Porta del Popolo (Porta Flaminia) (#3 on the map) is the entrance to the very large Piazza del Popolo.  Click here to see more on this Piazza.
 A book seller...and some buyers.  Also some cool bikes..er, scooters.
 We turned right on Via Giovanni Battista Vico.  This is a view out the left side window to apartment buildings.  The glass building at the end of the street houses the Wall Street Institute, an English language institute.  The street name is Via Francesco Carrara.
These are other apartment buildings in the area.
The cute parking garage entrance is what caught my eye with this photo.

I like the block work on the buildings in this area.  The texture adds much to the look.

The street name changed to Via Emanuale Gianturco and we stayed on this street for about a block.  We turned left on Via Domenico Alberto Azuni to cross the river on Ponte Giacomo Matteotti.  The bridge a little further south, shown on this photo, is Ponte Pietro Nenni.

Note: As I was researching the Roman districts, rioni, I came across this website.
http://roma.andreapollett.com/S5/rioni.htm
The author does a wonderful job with the topic and I recommend taking a moment to visit his site.

2 comments:

Ginan said...

I didn't get to see Villa Borghese when we were there. It was because we were so busy seeing so many other things...or so I though. After reading through your blog I wonder what I had been spending my time doing while I was there! Certainly wasn't doing a bang up job of sight seeing!!

Ladee said...

I'm sure that you saw a lot more than you think that you saw. You brought to my attention the fact that every step that you take, and every building that you look at is SOMETHING! The funny part is that I probably didn't see all the things that you saw...