Visitors

Monday, April 11, 2011

Paris - St Germain des Pres

This church is known for being one of the oldest in the city.  The columns are painted, and it is a little dark and dingy. Throw a few extra coins in the collection boxes and help them out!

Adorable 1920's style Metro sign for the St Germaine des Pres stop.
The ivy covering on the building is pretty also.

Les Deux Magots is across the street so plan to stop in
if it fits in to the schedule.

The entrance to the church with a burst of Paris Spring
in the tree near to the front.

There is an "old" building smell that you notice
as you walk in the door.  It is generally dark
but for the front windows.

The ceiling is painted in a blue and gold pattern.

You can see the painted columns in this shot.
There are huge paintings on the left side..

The stained glass windows are pretty.
These are catching the morning sunshine.

I lit a candle.
The green one is for my sister.  I saw someone else drop
a candle as they were lighting, so I took mine out of the
plastic container. Then the wick dropped out, so I had
to look around for it. Finally got it lit and my wish was made.

This is on the right side.

The ceiling isn't painted on the right side, but you can
still admire the architecture.

One of the side areas. I thought that this was interesting
because it had a square cut out. Wonder what is supposed
to be in there? 


This closeup of the columns shows the painting
and the wear and tear on the building.

You should be able to click on this picture and see a closeup
of the map and descriptions.

Another fun view of organ pipes at the rear of the church.


LOGISTICS and PRICES
Entrance is free. Candles are 1, 2 and 3 euro. Collection boxes available.
Nice eating cafes in the area. Easy metro access.
Click here for more St Germain Des Pres information - website with more tour information. No affiliation.

3 comments:

Ginan said...

Another interesting site to see.

Ginan said...

Thank you for the green candle. It brought a tear to my eye when I read the caption. I need a candle lit for me today!

Tina said...

There are so many beautiful churches in Paris, and I felt blessed to be able to visit quite a few. I loved when we were there during a service so we could enjoy the music and, on occasion, get a behind-the-scenes look (again, thanks to Ladee's research and prep).