Visitors

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Vienna - Graben

What is a "Graben".  A street name.  and more than that...
This was once a Graben, or ditch, originally the moat for the Roman military camp.  [Steves]
 Graben was a busy street with three lanes of traffic until the 1970s, when it was turned into one of Europe's first pedestrian-only zones. [Steves]
WOW!  I love pedestrian-only zones!!! And here I am, standing at the mother of all foot only zones.  Walk with me...I took these photos for you.





A large pig and a large crowd.
Protesting eating pork.


We had to work through the crowd to get on with the
walking tour.

I liked the look of this building. I don't know what it is.

Did a quick "am I hungry?" check when I saw the word
"Konditorei".  Snacks!!!  Nope, just keep walking.

Street scene as we work our way towards the
Holy Trinity plague column (Pestsaule).
Wide sidewalks with window shopping.
Cafe seating in the center. Nice.

"The 70-foot pillar of clouds sprouts angels and cherubs,
with the wonderfully gilded Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
at the top." [Steves]


Click here to read more about the column and the plague.




Looking back at Graben and the statue.


We are going to step off of Graben for a minute and tour St. Peter's Church.

No comments: