Visitors

Monday, July 9, 2007

We arrive in Paris!

We are in Paris! The EuroStar was smooth and fast. We left the Windermere in London at about 7:30 and walked to the Victoria Station to go to the Waterloo Station. Everything is well marked and we were able to get on to the train. Well, except for the seats. We have seats 75 and 76 in Coach 4. We had to count the number of coaches to find coach 4, then noticed the huge painted numbers on the ground, just to confirm that we counted correctly. The seats stared with 12, and I thought that even though the door was marked and the platform was marked, we were on the wrong coach. BUT, it is the numbering that is erratic and even though there are about 50 seats in the coach, the numbers go all the way to 90s. What a system.

We slept the entire way. I took a few photos through the window. The part that goes under the water is about 20 minutes, so it's pretty fast. France outside of Paris looks like Pennsylvania. We pulled into Gare Nord (Train station North), and sat down to snack and look at maps to get a feel for where we are. After a few minutes of panic (everything was in French!!), we figured out the Metro system, took line 4 to connect to line 8. Quick exit from the Ecole Militaire station to Avenue de la Motte Picquet, the city streets of Paris. Grande! Grande! It's beautiful.

There is a slight rain, but don't worry, Kalen has an umbrella and a coat. No, I don't have my luggage yet. But I do have a blanket from the plane so I'm good to go. It's actually much easier traveling without luggage. I have my new pink shirt on under my old green long shirt, and new socks. I'm going to start traveling minimalist from now on. We pulled out the map, figured out where we needed to go to get to Hotel de Londres-Eiffel, and started walking. Pretty easy walk.



I notice a cafe on the corner by the Metro stop and think that I can not wait to drop of the luggage and join in the fun. We turn right on Avenue de La Bourdonnais. It is lined with shops and businesses. Another right on Rue de Grenelle and a quick left on our street, Rue Augereau. This is a much smaller street, with barely enough room for the small cars to park and for someone to drive. Curious, we stretch our necks to find the hotel. There are a few small restaurants, and two little laundromats.

We were given a very friendly greeting by Cedric at the hotel, and given our room key. The wireless is awesome here, so I'll be able to check in. They even have a "lift", so we don't have to climb flights of stairs to get to room 24. The lift held Kalen and I with our backpacks. Vera Bradley would not have fit. Now we are off to the Hard Rock Cafe to get our "Paris Pass" and lunch. I can't buy any souvenirs because I have no way to carry them. But I'll have great memories and photos, which is all that I need anyway. Kalen did point out that there is a slight "scent" in the air. He actually called it a smell, but I think that he just hasn't been waiting since 9th grade to go to Paris so he is a little more critical (realistic??).

The Hard Rock Cafe Paris is located at 14, Boulevard Montmartre. It is halfway between two Metro Stations: Richelieu/Drouot and Grands Boulevards. (Both stations are on lines 8 and 9) It is not a large place. It is nestled in between two other businesses, (no need for a huge parking lot) and doesn't have room for a big guitar out front. Inside it looks like the other Hard Rocks, with the gift shop first, then the restaurant. Our waitress was from Denmark and spoke perfect English. She had just arrived in Paris a month ago to work. We had burgers and pomme frites (fries).

No comments: