Visitors

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Snow and Versailles

Today's plan: take the train to Versailled to photograph the gardens in the winter.
My Prayer: Please cover the gardens with a dusting of snow.
The result: SNOW!!!  Yea!!!

The morning started with this scene outside the apartment balcony window.  I was so giggly excited because I figured if it was snowing (and melting) in the city, the outskirts would have a nice dusting.  (See the video below.)

We stopped by the boulangerie (note that the shop has been renovated and has a 3 week new owner...yes, I quizzed him on all of this) to buy some nice pastries for the train ride, then went to the Metro station and bought two tickets each, one to go to Versailles and the other to return (6 euros total).  We had no issues with the ticket vending machine and didn't have to step out of line to let others pass once. Woo hoo!! Getting better at this all the time.  We took the #4 line to Saint Michel station, then found the train "RER B" and we were off.  We ate chocolate croissants, Swiss broche with chocolate in it, and an orange thing...whatever!, looked and tasted good.  The trained arrived at Versailles in about 45 minutes and we were on our way.

The grounds were covered with snow, with slushy areas where people walk.  No crowds and no vendors selling plastic Eiffel Tower key chains.  I asked one of the workers (yes...in French) which entrance we use to see just the gardens, not inside the chateau. And he answered in French (clearly indicating to me that he understood my French...yippee!!).  AND I understood the answer. We headed to the left of the building through a walkway...and the white dusted wonderland opened up before us.  I took a lot of photos on the "big" camera, and will need to convert them to web photos when I return home. But here is me, happy, with the Versailles Gardens sprawling in the background, dusted with snow.  Yes, I have on one glove...because someone else did not bring gloves and has not yet purchased a pair of French gloves.


We ate at a little pizza restaurant, which I wouldn't recommend.  It is in one of the little plazas on the walk from the train station to the Chateau.  Chez Cesar was our second choice, because the restaurant with the crepes was closed.  Karl had Soupe Minestrone for 6.50€, I had pasta, Pates a la Bolognese for 11.50€, and we both had a glass of Bordeaux for 3.80€ each. 

Dinner tonight was purchased at the local shops.  We bought four different types of cheeses, a baguette from Eric Kaiser Bakery, some raspberries from the fruit stand (I was holding one container for 3 euro when the shopkeeper told me to take 3 containers for only 5 euro...cool!)  ...oh, then he showed me the sign...Thank God for the friendly French. We also bought avacados, oranges, and some olives (hang over from Roma).  Karl returned to the boulangerie to get pastries for the morning and I went to Stohrer's for dessert, something touille, and baba au rhum.  Did I tell you that the baba au rhum was invented at Stohrer's? This shop has become the new Vatican for Karl.  I shared a little chat with the workers (Am I on vacation? Does the camera hanging around my neck give my secret away?)  and headed for home.  Because I was walking by myself, I was easy distracted by a chocolate shop.  BONJOUR! I said as I entered.  "I need some chocolate!".  So we discussed, and tasted my options. I was very indecisive and had to test several. I then purchased a slab of carmel chocolate and a slab of dark chocolate with nuts and other miscellaneous things in it.  VERY good, of course.

Here are photos of the chocolate. Notice that that slab is very thin. I think that this is done to allow zero space for calories. Those French are so clever.  I don't know if I'll be able to bring any of this home.  There seems to be less and less every time I open the bag to look at it.


2 comments:

Ginan said...

what a fun day and just what you asked the universe to bring you!!

Unknown said...

Good job dear I like your way to present your opinion.I like your blog its very attractive.India is such a wonderful place to travel the adventure tours, Historical monuments, safari tours, Himalayas tracking tours and many more thousands of visitors came across the world to travel India.Maldives Tour Packages