Visitors

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sacre Coeur - The Blizzard

The story of the blizzard is told in the post just prior to this one, but I wanted to show you more photos of what it was like before and after the "wish candle" that was lit inside of Sacre Coeur.

We are at street level looking up at the basilica.


Montmartre is a colorful area, and the white basilica on the top of the hill is opposite of what goes on below.


One look at the stairs told me that the Funicular was the way to go.  It was easy to use and we had Metro tickets that could be used for the ride.


I like the view over Paris.

 We are still midway up the hill and have one more set of stairs to climb.

 The twin towers from a church can be seen in the distance.
 The matching roof tiles are blue.

 This marker explains what you can see from your panoramic view of Paris.
 The snow started to fall as we entered the building.
 At this point, we spent a lot of time inside.  We were able to light wish candles (which is where I said "I would love to photograph Paris in her winter whites."), listen to the nuns sing, and I had the opportunity to harass K about tipping St. Anthony because he always helped to find items, such as the recent lost passport.

When we exited the basilica, the overpowering "Paris in her winter whites" view hit us!!








 I was shocked. I need to learn to control my candle lighting and be very specific about what I ask.

We had lunch in Montmartre and kept warm inside while the blizzard continued.
This turned out to be an incredibly adventurous day!  The city was shut down, bus travel was halted. Sheesh!  Who knew?

No comments: