Les Halles-Rambuteau - A Day of Wondering Aimlessly

Today was wonderful.  No specific route planned, just an exploration of the side streets in the neighborhood.

If you have a Paris map, you can follow me.  Otherwise, just enjoy the tour.  My journey starts at the apartment location: Intersection of Rue Montmartre and Rue Etienne Marcel.  Etienne Marcel is the dividing line between 1 Arrondisement and 2 Arrondisement.  As I left the apartment, I thought that I would take a little walk and then return to one of the boulangeries (bakeries) and get a sandwich.  I started off going south on Rue Montmartre past Eglise Saint-Eustache. I walked through  (on the edge of) the park towards the Les Halles Metro station and continued on to Rue Rambuteau.  I turned right on Rue Saint-Denis.

I had bearly walked past two stores when I could smell something cooking.  I saw a crepe stand. My stomach rumbled and mentioned that I hadn't tried one of these, so now was a great time to do so.  I selected a basic one with cheese:


It took a little while longer for the cheese to melt, and then he folded it and put it in a paper container.  It reminded me of a quesadilla snack, only the crepe was softer with a taste of, well, crepe.


I munched on the crepe as I walked and window shopped, turning left and right in the area. It was a pedestrian section of town, so no need to watch for car traffic. Perfect when you are totally distracted.

Cheesy crepe
After a while, I saw the St. Eustache church again and decided to wander down rue Montorgueil.  I made it just a few steps when I saw hot chocolate.  I asked the attendant for some, and he told me that I needed to pay inside first. So, I walked inside and to my delight found two Italian men behind a counter filled with gelato.  Perfect!  I quickly forgot about the hot chocolate, chatted about the warm weather in Rome at this time of year, and ordered a dark chocolate and espresso treat.

Chocolate and Espresso Gelato
I strolled and looked in windows at every shop.  When the gelato was finished, I went in to Au Rocher De Cancale, selected a table inside, and ordered a caffe creme (coffee with creme).

Caffe Creme at Au Rocher De Cancale
I sipped and enjoyed the people watching.  After a while, I headed back to the apartment so take a nap. Ahhhh, busy day.

1 comment:

Ginan said...

What a wonderfully perfect Paris day!!!

Why Are There So Many British People in the Dordogne?

  Why Are There So Many British People in the Dordogne? What you have noticed around Château Marouatte is not incidental. The Dordogne has ...