Travel has a funny way of changing what you notice when you come home.
While I was in France, I became fascinated by the use of bamboo and other plant-based materials in everyday objects. I noticed bamboo spoons, hotel accessories, signs and other products that could easily have been made from conventional plastic. Once I started paying attention to what things were made from, I couldn’t stop.
Now I’m back in the United States, and apparently I brought home a new habit: I’m inspecting my takeout packaging.
What looked like an entirely ordinary American takeout meal turned into a surprisingly interesting little investigation.
I turned over the food box. I examined the fork. Then I started dismantling my coffee cup.
And there was information everywhere.
The Takeout Container
The white clamshell food container looks a bit like the disposable containers we’ve used for years, but the markings tell a different story.
Molded into the bottom is the BPI compostable certification mark, accompanied by the words “Commercially Compostable Only.” There’s also an important qualification: “Facilities May Not Exist in Your Area.”
That distinction is significant. Commercially compostable doesn’t necessarily mean backyard compostable. These products are designed to break down under the controlled temperature, moisture and biological conditions available at appropriate commercial composting facilities.
So creating the container is only half of the sustainability equation. A community also needs a system capable of collecting and processing it.
Then I Looked at the Fork
At first glance, the fork looks like an ordinary disposable plastic utensil.
Look closely, however, and there is another BPI mark molded directly into the fork, along with identifying information.
That was particularly interesting because it demonstrates how difficult it can be to identify newer compostable materials simply by appearance. The fork looks and feels much like conventional plastic. Without turning it over and finding the certification mark, I would never have known there was anything different about it.
France had me examining bamboo spoons. Now, apparently, I’m examining the backs of forks.
Then There Was My Coffee Cup
The coffee cup turned out to be an entire sustainability lesson by itself because it isn’t really one object. It’s several separate components, made from different materials.
First, there is the paper cup itself.
Printed directly on it is the statement: “This cup has been redesigned with 30% recycled paper.” It also carries an FSC MIX certification mark indicating that the paper comes from FSC-certified material, recycled material and/or other controlled sources. The label specifically describes it as paper supporting responsible forestry.
So before I even reach the sleeve, the cup is telling me two things: recycled content is being incorporated into the product, and attention is also being paid to the sourcing of the paper fiber.
Then I looked at the cardboard insulating sleeve.
That has its own story printed right on it:
“Same great sleeve, less waste.”
According to the manufacturer, the sleeve contains 85% post-consumer fiber and uses 34% less paper than the original version.
I find that particularly interesting. Sustainability isn’t always about inventing an entirely new material. Sometimes it means redesigning an existing product so that it simply requires less material in the first place.
And then there’s the lid.
Unlike the cup and sleeve, the lid is a molded material that looks and feels like plastic. It has manufacturing information molded into it, but I don’t see the same obvious BPI compostability mark that appears on the food container and fork. So I shouldn’t assume that the lid belongs in the same composting stream merely because the other pieces do.
That is an important part of this story too.
One Cup Isn’t Necessarily One Piece of Trash
My coffee arrived as a single object.
But when I’m finished with it, I’m actually holding several different materials: a paper cup containing recycled fiber, a high-post-consumer-fiber cardboard sleeve, and a separate molded lid.
Add the meal and I have even more: a commercially compostable food container and a BPI-marked compostable utensil.
Suddenly, throwing everything into one trash can seems remarkably unsophisticated compared with the amount of engineering that went into making all of it.
And that brings me right back to France.
I initially noticed bamboo there because it was different enough to catch my attention. What I didn’t expect was that the experience would change the way I looked at things when I came home.
The alternatives are here, too.
Some are obvious. Some look exactly like the disposable products we’ve been using for decades. Some incorporate recycled material. Some reduce the amount of material used. Some are commercially compostable. And some components may still require an entirely different waste stream.
The information is often right there on the product.
I simply wasn’t reading it before.
Perhaps that’s one of the more unexpected souvenirs I’ve brought home from France. I went there looking carefully at buildings, landscapes, food and culture through the lens of my camera.
I came home looking just as carefully at my coffee cup.
And my takeout box.
And, yes, even my fork.
#SustainablePackaging #CompostablePackaging #BPICompostable #RecycledPaper #FSC #PostConsumerFiber #TakeoutPackaging #Sustainability #FranceTravel #TravelChangesYou
No comments:
Post a Comment