Visitors

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Paris - Pantheon

I've wanted to see this since my trip to Rome when I saw the Pantheon there.  I was not disappointed. It was based upon the original but there were some differences.  The Rome Pantheon is breathtaking with the engineering development at the time.  The exterior of the Paris Pantheon is a huge improvement over the original.

Walking on rue Soufflot towards the Pantheon

Street scene to the west on rue St Jacques

Oh look! We can see the Eiffel Tower from here!!

Entering the plaza in front of the Pantheon

Special event

Inside paintings

Side windows allow diffused natural light into the room.

Sculptures surrounded the walls.

The high dome had those flowers (again).

This video will give you a good view of the interior.



Underneath is a crypt.

Voltaire's section

Stopped for a snack.

French fries

Creme brulee

6 comments:

Sara said...

Gorgeous! Though the food pics are always my favorite part. ;)

XOXO

Sara

Ginan said...

Great pictures. I totally missed that place when I was there. I'm all in to the snacks you had!

Ladee said...

Note to Sara and Kalen: this Pantheon was built after someone saw the one in Rome. It is "inspired by" but not "just like". The one in Rome was awe inspiring because of the precision of the engineering at that time. It is one large area. This one has side areas and the tall center section. There was supposed to be a Foucault pendulum hanging from the high dome but it was not there. I saw one of these in a museum in Washington DC so I was excited to see the original.

Ellen said...

I have followed your posts daily, just to make sure that my friend Tina wasn't sitting in her hotel watching TV! You've done a super job of bringing Paris to the rest of us. Love all of your pics! Most could be post cards!

Ladee said...

Ellen, Tina was an awesome traveler and kept up with my rigorous schedule. Thanks for enjoying the trip!

Tina said...

Don't you think the "special event" guy looks like Denzel Washington? Because I did. Still not convinced that isn't his picture. Also enjoyed the Pantheon. But that guy...