Visitors

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Phoenix - Phoenix Art Museum

The Phoenix Art Museum has been growing over the years and brings in great traveling exhibits. The theater department has also done a great job obtaining films pertaining to art subjects. The latest one, "Leonardo Live", depicts the Da Vinci exhibit that was at London's National Gallery.  This was one of my reasons for attending the museum.  See the Events list for this and other scheduled events.  Many of the show times were sold out (great!!!) so I think that this has been a huge success.   I also went to see the Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit, as I am a huge fan.

My day started with a nice lunch in the onsite restaurant "Palette at the Phoenix Art Museum".  If you are planning a meal, be sure to check the website for the closing times.

Be sure to look around the outside of the Museum for interesting architecture, fountains and statues.

The restaurant was the first stop of my day.

The entrance.

Interesting piece in the front lobby.  I asked an attendant about the photography policy. She told me that there were signs (and indicated about a six inch square with her hands).  I picked up my ticket from will call and proceeded in to the Museum.  I saw a lovely poster of the Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit next to his model of a mile high building and took a photo BECAUSE I did not see a sign.  The guard came running up to me and told me that I could be sued for taking it. I calmly asked for the location of the "no photographs" sign and he pointed to a tiny 1/2 in stamp on the description of the art.  Who can see that without glasses????
So, I put the camera away so that I wouldn't get in any other trouble (and I'm NOT posting the photo!)

All in all, the Museum has a nice collection and is very kid friendly (see the red dinosaur on the front lawn!)

No comments: