Visitors

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Rome, Italy - Wide awake at 2AM

I had a solid 8 hours sleep and woke at 2AM. I've been charging all of my devices, and added a little more content to yesterday's blog post. Thanks for the comments!! It's a joy to know that someone is reading them.  Kalen is awake too, although he got a few more hours of sleep because he crashed on the couch.




Well, it is off to the Vatican for today. I also noted that there is a bidet in the larger bathroom. When in Rome... I've never used one so I am going to give it a try. Thank the world for Google, because while I have the gist of the use, I don't want to encounter any gotchas.   Oops, TMI (too much information?)

Things are going well. I just need to learn, again, that Karl comments to himself when he is trying to figure something out and is not really looking for my input. He did a great job figuring out how to make espresso with the silver stovetop device.  I'm going to look around for one while I am here and bring it home. My electric espresso maker is seeing its last days.

I'm reading my Rick Steves book to prepare for the Vatican, and most importantly the Sistene Chapel. I've been reading the Agony and Ecstacy, so I feel intimately connected to Michaelangelo and understand him. I didn't get to the end of the book with these paintings, but I'm preparing myself to take it all in. Rick calls it "the single greatest work of art by a human being." Rick says that the whispy clothing seen on the figures was painted on after Michealangelo's death. The work has been cleaned and the colors are supposed to be brilliant (a little uncleaned spot was left in one of the corners...I'll have to find that also.) I'm excited about seeing this, and the Pieta. Reading "Agony and Ecstacy" was a great idea. It is a shame that I didn't finish it, but perhaps I will savor it even more when I return after seeing the actual work.

The walking has been okay so far. The cobblestones and unevenness force me to pay attention. I have stopped to take random street scene photos and should really take them with the smaller camera so that I can share them online. The larger camera is set to create "Raw" format that I can use later for printing. Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm excited. I can't wait to seet the day has to offer, what foods we will sample, and all of the excitement, challenges and newness.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice post. I really love reading these types or articles. I can?t wait to see what others have to say.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Merci! J'ai toujours voulu écrire quelque chose dans mon site comme ça. Puis-je prendre une partie de votre post sur mon blog?

Anonymous said...

You made some nice points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found mainly people will consent with your blog..

Anonymous said...

What a nice post. I really love reading these types or articles. I can?t wait to see what others have to say.

Anonymous said...

It’s onerous to find educated folks on this topic, however you sound like you realize what you’re talking about! Thanks