Where the Road Has a Name but the House Doesn’t: Finding an Address in Rural France
I had to dive deep in to the mailing system for the Chateau area as this is another topic for living as a local. I checked the known address that our group used to find the property against current French address sources, including La Poste, the French national business directory, Grand-Brassac municipal information, and a current site specifically associated with Château de Marouatte.
The address in that message is not wrong, but it is incomplete for a UPS pickup. There is now a much more precise street address for the château.
The address I would give UPS
CHÂTEAU DE MAROUATTE
399 ROUTE DU CHÂTEAU DE MAROUATTE
LIEU-DIT MAROUATTE
24350 GRAND-BRASSAC
FRANCE
This is the strongest version I found. The current Art at the Castle contact page, which operates at Château de Marouatte, gives exactly 399 Route du Château de Marouatte, Lieu Dit Marouatte, 24350 Grand Brassac, France. The road itself is also recognized as Route du Château de Marouatte, and the Grand-Brassac municipality lists that road among the commune’s official road names.
The French government’s current business directory independently lists an active establishment at CHATEAU DE MAROUATTE, 24350 GRAND-BRASSAC, which confirms both the château name and postal commune. La Poste also confirms 24350 GRAND BRASSAC as the postal code/locality combination.
Why the original address can still work
The message says:
Château Marouatte
24350 Grand-Brassac, France
That abbreviated rural address has historically been used. I found older records showing “château de Marouatte, 24350 Grand-Brassac.” So it makes sense that people at the château would simply describe the address that way.
But France has been formalizing rural addresses with numbered roads, and the château now has the much more useful 399 Route du Château de Marouatte address. For a courier such as UPS, I would absolutely use the numbered address rather than merely “Château Marouatte.”
This matters because French rural properties traditionally could be identified by a lieu-dit, essentially a named locality or property area rather than an American-style numbered street address. La Poste’s own addressing standard provides a specific line for a lieu-dit, between the street address and postal code/locality.
For Karen’s luggage pickup
If this is the next chapter in Karen’s missing-luggage saga, I would have her give UPS:
Pickup location:
Château de Marouatte
399 Route du Château de Marouatte
Lieu-dit Marouatte
24350 Grand-Brassac
France
I would also give UPS the château’s local contact person’s name and French mobile number. For a pickup from a large rural estate, that is particularly important because the driver may need directions for the correct entrance/gate rather than simply reaching the geographic address.
So the château’s message was essentially correct, but “24350 Grand-Brassac, France” is no longer the most complete address available. The key missing piece is 399 Route du Château de Marouatte, with Lieu-dit Marouatte providing additional rural-location precision.
Comments