The Doors Were Left Ajar
The Doors Were Left Ajar
There is something I have come to understand about Château Marouatte that has made my stay here even more special.
The doors were left ajar.
Not literally every door, of course. There are private residences here, spaces belonging to the people who own the Château and to those who live and work here. Those boundaries are understood and respected.
But everywhere else, there has been this wonderful sense of invitation.
We were told early in our stay to explore. Wander. Investigate. Look around. Enjoy the Château as much as we possibly could.
And they meant it.
As I walked around the property, I began noticing doors that were not firmly closed. Some stood completely open. Others were cracked just enough to make me wonder what might be on the other side.
And so I looked.
Sometimes I pushed a door a little farther open.
Sometimes I stepped through.
Sometimes I found a beautifully furnished room. Sometimes an old staircase or a passageway. There were working spaces, storage areas, ancient stone walls, unexpected architectural details, and rooms that seemed to be quietly waiting for someone curious enough to discover them.
There were old things and new things, grand spaces and wonderfully ordinary ones.
That freedom to explore changed my relationship with this place.
I wasn’t simply walking through a historic property looking at what someone had decided I should see. There were no velvet ropes directing me along a prescribed route. There wasn’t a carefully orchestrated sequence of rooms with signs telling me where to stand and what to admire.
Instead, I was allowed to discover the Château for myself.
And discovery is very different from sightseeing.
When you discover something, even though countless people may have found it before you, there is a tiny moment when it feels as though it belongs only to you.
Look what I found.
That happened to me again and again here.
I would turn a corner and see something unexpected. I would notice a partially opened door and peek inside. I would walk a little farther down a path simply because I wondered where it went.
Each discovery made me want to know the Château a little better.
Perhaps that is why this place has become so endearing to me.
There is an enormous difference between being permitted to stay somewhere and being made to feel that, for a little while, you are welcome to inhabit it.
The invitation to explore says something without anyone actually having to say the words:
Come in. Look around. Be curious. Enjoy this place.
Of course, that invitation comes with responsibility. When you encounter a private residence, you respect it. When a space clearly isn’t meant for guests, you don’t intrude. Being given freedom makes you more conscious, not less, of respecting the people who have entrusted you with it.
But within those boundaries, what a gift it has been to wander.
I think that freedom has allowed me to develop an affection for Château Marouatte that I might never have felt if I had simply been shown its grandest rooms and most impressive views.
I have met the Château through its little corners.
Through its partially opened doors.
Through its gardens and outbuildings.
Through old pieces tucked away in storage and rooms still being used for everyday life.
Through stairways, windows, passageways and paths that made me wonder, Where does this go?
And through the simple pleasure of being allowed to find out.
Perhaps that is one of the great secrets of this place. Château Marouatte doesn’t reveal itself all at once.
It lets you discover it.
And somehow, after spending days opening doors, following paths and looking around corners, you begin to feel a little less like someone visiting a Château and a little more like someone who has been welcomed into its story.
P.S. The doors were left ajar. And I think that may have been one of the loveliest invitations of all.
Comments