Beneath Aubeterre: Discovering a Church Carved Out of a Mountain

 Photos posted later

Beneath Aubeterre: Discovering a Church Carved Out of a Mountain

I thought I had already seen the surprise of Aubeterre-sur-Dronne.

I had wandered its streets, stopped for coffee, enjoyed lunch, and admired this beautiful little French village perched above the Dronne. Then I walked into the Église souterraine Saint-Jean.

Nothing outside prepared me for what was waiting underground.

There are places where a photograph simply cannot convey the scale. This is one of them.

[PHOTO: IMG_5143]

My first reaction was simply to look up.

And then farther up.

The space seemed impossibly tall. Great pillars rose from the floor toward a ceiling that was not constructed at all. It was the underside of the hill itself. Arches, galleries, passages and openings appeared high above me. People standing at floor level looked tiny.

That human scale is important because the numbers alone do not quite communicate what I was seeing.

The church occupies a roughly 27-by-16-meter footprint, and the great nave rises more than 17 meters, reaching approximately 20 meters at its highest point. It is among the largest rock-cut churches of its type in Europe. 

Twenty meters is roughly the height of a six-story building.

Except nobody built this building upward.

They carved it downward into a limestone hill.

They Didn’t Build the Church. They Removed the Mountain.

[PHOTO: IMG_5144 or IMG_5149]

That distinction completely changed the way I looked at everything around me.

In a conventional medieval church, masons quarry stone somewhere else, transport it to the building site, shape it and gradually stack the structure upward.

Here, the architecture already existed inside a solid mass of limestone.

The challenge was to find it.

The major excavation belongs to the early 12th century, although an earlier sacred space existed here. Archaeological research associates the monumental phase with Pierre de Castillon, Viscount of Aubeterre, and with the religious world shaped by the First Crusade and devotion to Jerusalem’s Holy Sepulchre. 

The present church’s own historical interpretation describes something astonishing: the main excavation appears to have been accomplished in a single monumental campaign lasting about ten years.

Approximately 9,000 cubic meters of stone had to be removed. The site’s interpretation compares that volume to almost three Olympic swimming pools. 

Standing there, I tried to imagine it.

No excavator.

No jackhammer.

No electric drill.

No dump truck waiting outside.

Medieval workers were cutting this enormous cavity out of limestone.

And the method makes the place even more fascinating. Rather than starting at the bottom and constructing upward, the excavation was worked essentially from the top downward. This makes sense structurally: the workers could establish the ceiling and upper spaces first and progressively remove material beneath them, deliberately leaving masses of rock wherever pillars, walls or architectural features were required. Historical accounts describe the monumental excavation as a hand-carved, top-down undertaking. 

Suddenly those enormous columns looked completely different to me.

[PHOTO: IMG_5154 or IMG_5155]

They weren’t columns brought into the church.

They are pieces of the hill that were never taken away.

Everything surrounding them was removed.

That realization stopped me.

The Marks of the People Who Made It

I began looking closer.

[PHOTO: IMG_5153]

The surfaces are not smooth. There are holes, grooves, scars and irregularities everywhere.

Some holes relate to successive uses of the monument and cannot safely be assigned to its original construction simply from their appearance. But the broader texture is unmistakable: this is worked rock, not neatly laid masonry.

When I moved close enough, the enormous architecture became something surprisingly intimate.

Someone’s hands had worked here.

Someone had stood against this limestone centuries ago with tools and a plan for what this space was supposed to become.

[PHOTO: IMG_5152]

Even the colors fascinated me. Green and gray spread across portions of the limestone. Moisture has always been part of the story of a subterranean monument like this; modern engineering studies describe the site as a crumbly marl-chalk limestone formation and specifically investigate its hydrogeology and structural condition. 

The walls aren’t pristine.

I am glad they aren’t.

They look alive with age.

A Church With Another Church Above It

Then I noticed the openings.

[PHOTO: IMG_5150]

High above the floor is a gallery running around much of the church. From below, its succession of openings looks almost like windows belonging to another building.

But that, too, was carved into the rock.

A staircase of 76 rock-cut steps leads upward to the gallery, from which the church can be viewed from about 17 meters above the floor. 

Looking at those little openings from below gave me one of my favorite visual lessons in scale.

They don’t look terribly high until you notice a person standing below them.

Then your brain recalibrates.

[PHOTO: IMG_5156]

People are reduced to tiny figures among the pillars.

That photograph probably communicates the scale better than any measurement I can give.

The Six-Meter Reliquary

At one end of this enormous excavated sanctuary stands something that initially looks almost like a small chapel that someone constructed inside the larger church.

[PHOTO: IMG_5147 or IMG_5148]

It is the great Romanesque reliquary.

It rises approximately six meters, nearly 20 feet.

And once again, appearances are deceptive.

It wasn’t assembled from blocks and placed there.

It was carved from a mass of limestone deliberately left standing as the surrounding rock was excavated away. That makes this feature genuinely monolithic, a single piece of the original rock. Its form was inspired by the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. 

I found that almost impossible to comprehend.

Imagine removing thousands upon thousands of tons of rock while knowing that this particular piece must remain.

Then sculpting that remaining mass into an architectural monument.

There was no ordering another block if someone made a catastrophic mistake.

Then I Looked Down

The discoveries weren’t all above me.

[PHOTO: IMG_5158]

Cut directly into the floor are graves.

Lots of them.

The 12th-century necropolis contains about 170 rock-cut tombs

The photograph makes their construction wonderfully clear. These aren’t stone coffins that were lowered into prepared holes. The burial spaces themselves were excavated from the limestone floor.

The church’s association with burial continued for centuries. Archaeological work in the late 1950s and early 1960s revealed extensive medieval burials, and interments within the church continued until 1865, when they were prohibited for public-health reasons. 

So this wasn’t simply an impressive medieval engineering project.

It was sacred ground.

People prayed here.

Pilgrims stopped here.

Relics were preserved here.

People chose to bury their dead here.

The church became associated with pilgrims traveling toward Santiago de Compostela, who came to pray before relics believed to offer spiritual protection for the journey ahead. 

There Was Still More Beneath My Feet

And somehow, even standing at the bottom of a church carved beneath a village, I still wasn’t at the bottom of it.

A crypt lies beneath the choir.

It was rediscovered in 1961 and includes a roughly 16-meter corridor decorated with arcades, leading toward the choir. Inside are a small rock-cut altar and seats sculpted directly from the walls. 

So I had a village above me.

A château farther up the hill.

A monumental church around me.

A gallery above me.

A necropolis under my feet.

And a crypt below that.

Aubeterre had layers.

Literal layers.

Looking Up One Last Time

[PHOTO: IMG_5149 or IMG_5156]

Before leaving, I stood in the center and looked upward again.

Now I understood what I was seeing differently.

The pillars weren’t supporting a ceiling that had been placed upon them. They were remnants of the original limestone mass.

The arches weren’t assembled.

They were revealed.

The gallery wasn’t attached to the wall.

It was excavated from it.

The reliquary wasn’t brought inside.

It had always been there, hidden inside the rock until everything around it was taken away.

Even the empty space itself was created by removal.

And perhaps that was the discovery I loved most.

When we talk about monumental architecture, we usually talk about what human beings built.

At Aubeterre, the astonishing achievement is what human beings took away.

About 9,000 cubic meters of stone.

Ten years of monumental excavation.

A sanctuary nearly six stories high.

All beneath a little French village where, just a short distance away, people were sitting outside drinking coffee and eating lunch.

[PHOTO: IMG_5143]

I walked back outside into the daylight with that wonderful feeling I have had repeatedly on this trip: I had started the day thinking I was simply going to visit another pretty French village.

Instead, I had walked inside a mountain.

And discovered a church waiting within it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barcelona, Spain - La Sagrada Familia Passion Facade

Payson, Arizona - Ox Bow Saloon on Historic Main Street

Prague, Czech - Street Scenes on Na Porici