Prague, Czech - St. Vitas Cathedral Interior - Part 2

Enjoy the view. More details to follow. I will update as soon as I find detailed information on the interior of the building and repost.







This section shows the Saint John of Nepomuk's silver tomb.





I'm not one to gossip about saints, but I found a story on a website (reference at the bottom of this page) that said that the tomb was opened after 300 years.  Along with the normal remains, there was a  "reddish sliver of live flesh".  Of course this caused an uproar but it only served to prove that he was truly a saint. He heard confessions from the queen of St. Wenceslas.  The king wanted to know the details...saint refused...king tortured saint and then threw him in to the river...river soon dried up in a drought...saint's body was found and then the huge tomb was built.












Source for the St. John's tongue story: http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/church-of-st-john-nepomuk-on-zelena-hora-the-green-mountain.  By the way, the story was debunked in 1973 when it was determined that the flesh wasn't a tongue but a brain slice.  I guess all is now right in the world!

No comments:

Why Are There So Many British People in the Dordogne?

  Why Are There So Many British People in the Dordogne? What you have noticed around Château Marouatte is not incidental. The Dordogne has ...